Saturday, July 08, 2006

She drives me cra-yay-zee!

After working some extra hours at work, I was able to get home a bit earlier than usual one Friday morning. There were quite a few activities that Cheryl thought Beth might enjoy during the upcoming summer months, but none of them were really close enough to get to without driving.

We had briefly discussed Cheryl taking the rest of her driving test (i.e. the practical section), but getting in early gave me the incentive to take her to the 'local' test centre. We went to the same test centre that I took my test at & when I was there I was told that appointments were not required. Anyway, when we got there, the place was absolutely packed & when we said that we didn't have an appointment we were told that we should have booked. Of course, I then asked for an appointment later that day but was told that they don't accept same day bookings. We were welcome to wait, but they couldn't guarantee that we would get a 'walk-in'. However, after waiting about two hours Cheryl's name was called & it was now the moment of truth.

I was confident that Cheryl would pass first time as she is a good driver. After having watched someone take a good three attempts at the parallel parking (& still not get it right), & overhearing people in the waiting room saying that their son/daughter was on his/her third driving test (if you fail more than three times you have to get written permission to take more tests & have additional tuition), I think Cheryl was feeling the pressure.

Anyway, after about 20 minutes, she drove back into the test centre & absolutely aced the parallel park (she managed to park the car in well under 1.5 lengths, & yes, I was impressed).

So, she now had a full licence & just needed a car!