Sunday, August 12, 2007

4lb Burger - No Problem?

When we arrived in Memphis we went straight to Graceland & spent the day looking at the various Elvis exhibits without stopping for lunch. After we checked in at our hotel, we had a look at the downtown Memphis guide to see where we could eat. It didn't take long to decide upon the Big Foot Lodge as this was the home of the Sasquatch Challenge. If you could eat the Sasquatch Burger without any help from anyone else, you got the burger for free - simple eh? Everyone else ordered their food, had eaten their starters, & were well into their main courses before I even saw my dinner (since it took 45 minutes just to cook the meat). This gave me plenty of time to actually think how big the burger could be - 8 double quarter pounders with cheese, 16 quarter pounders, God knows how many White Castles (a US fast food joint burger)!

It was absolutely massive! About 18 inches in diameter & at least 8 inches tall. The burger meat was at least an inch thick & it didn't even fit in the burger bun (or should that be loaf of bread). I only had to eat the burger & the pickle on top. I could leave the fries if I wanted to - like it would make any difference. After having my photo taken for the web-site & the server starting his stop-watch I started eating. Pickles aren't my favourite thing, but just one pickle on the top was OK. I lifted up the top of the burger & was greeted by about 3 tomatoes, half a lettuce, & about 150 sliced pickles - darn! In addition to this there was also about 1/4 inch of cheese smothering the meat.

After eating solidly for about 20 minutes I was done - & it looked like I hadn't eaten anything! Turns out that only one person has ever finished the burger, & he just happened to be a 'professional eater'.