Saturday, May 23, 2009

First Snow 2009










We had been predicted snow for the beginning of the week & the weather forecasters were correct with their predictions. I made my way into work as usual, but it was noticeable that although there was only a couple of inches of snow (which had been predicted for about a week previous) the roads were in really bad condition, almost as if they hadn't been plowed. We were predicted more snow overnight & true to form at about 8:00pm sleet started falling (sleet here in the US is small dry pellets of snow, rather that the wet sloppy stuff that we get in the UK). I thought nothing of it but when I got up at 5:30 am the next morning, there was about 8 inches of snow on the ground. I cleared the drive but chose to leave for work late to try & miss the chaos on the roads. I think that I made the right choice as even with a four-wheel drive it was really difficult to make it up our road (which still hadn't been plowed). The highways were in an even worse mess than the previous day so it was a slow journey into the office but on the way I saw a couple of snow plough convoys clearing the highway, & behind these it looked like it hadn't snowed at all! Normal service was resumed by the commute home with all the roads that I travelled on being clear.