Thursday, April 13, 2006

Windy city?

I thought that Chicago was supposed to be the windy city!

There have been some strong storms lately with a line of thunderstorms passing through St Louis on the Sunday before Cheryl & Beth arrived. I had the weather alerts activated on my PC & I also had my weather alert radio on & so I was aware that there was the potential for severe weather. It had been really hot on the Sunday & I took the opportunity to get some decorating done. Late afternoon the thunderstorm watch changed to a warning which means that you are supposed to go to your basement. As I was closing the windows some seriously strong winds started battering the house so I made for the basement double quick! The storm warning changed to a tornado warning which lasted for about half an hour.

Luckily, there was no apparent damage to the house although some houses were missing shingles & some branches had been blown down. Phil mentioned on Monday that a tornado had 'touched down' in Eureka (a few miles east of where I live), & Steve (who was out with his girlfriend & her kids at Six Flags theme park) had to take shelter in a shop & found that his hire car had suffered hail damage.